Mission Point Resort on Mackinac Island gives you the best of an outdoor island destination wedding… without leaving the country! Its waterfront views, gorgeous grounds, and beautiful buildings offer numerous options for outdoor wedding ceremonies and breathtaking wedding photos… plus a wedding weekend worth of fun activities for you and your guests! I’ve photographed countless weddings on Mackinac Island, and I’ve put together my best advice for how to make the most of your Mission Point wedding!
1. Get ready at Mission Point Resort
- Newly Renovated Rooms and Suites: Getting ready in one of the newly renovated rooms and suites makes for a calm and carefree wedding day for all members of the wedding party!
- The Lakeside Spa and Salon: This beautiful onsite spa and salon means you can get your hair and make-up done by the pros at without leaving the resort!
- Bring your Pup!: Some of Mission Point’s accommodations are dog friendly, perfect for the “Best Dog” member of your wedding party! Mission Point is the only pet-friendly resort on the Island. They even have their own resident border collie, Nick, who is so famous that he has his own Instagram account!
2. Take Advantage of Mission Point’s Gorgeous Grounds:
- A One-Stop Shop: With 18 acres of gardens, restaurants, event spaces, and amenities, Mission Point has something for every occasion. Host it all from rehearsal dinners and cocktail hours…to ceremonies and receptions…to fun activities for everyone!
- Fun on the Lawn! Have a welcome party featuring a bonfire with s’mores, play putt-putt at The Greens of Mackinac, or have some competitive fun by playing lawn games on the front lawn!
- The Famous Adirondack Chairs: Grab a local brew from the Boxwood Cafe, settle back in one of the famous Adirondack chairs, relax and take in the views!
3. Schedule Time to Soak in the Scenery of Mission Point and Mackinac Island:
- Plan a Carriage Ride: Start by clip-clopping through Mission Point’s 18 Acres before taking in some of Mackinac Island’s famous scenery! (This is a great way to ensure a some time for just the two of you amid all of the wedding festivities.)
- Schedule a Longer Cocktail Hour: This gives you and your guests time to enjoy the sprawling grounds and the views in between the ceremony and the reception.
- Make Time for Great Photos! Abundant gardens in bloom, the famous Adirondack chairs, stunning waterfront vistas… there are so many great photo spots… you will be glad that you made time for them all!
4. Enjoy the Unique Amenities of Mission Point Resort:
- Rent a Bicycle from Mission Point’s Custom Fleet: Made specially for Mission Point Resort by Detroit Bikes, these bikes are designed to be extra cute (and extra comfortable)! PRO TIP: You will LOVE a photo with your wedding party and these beautiful bikes!
- Reserve the Promenade Deck: Newly renovated for the 2020 season, Mission Point’s Promenade Deck is a premier outdoor lakefront event space. With 360 degree views, this versatile event space is perfect for anything from a stunning rehearsal dinner to a show-stopping reception.
- Explore More of Mission Point: From the Great Lawn, to the Lakeside Spa & Salon, and even an evening of glow golf, you can enjoy so many activities at Mission Point Resort before exploring the rest of Mackinac Island…perfect for a destination wedding weekend!
5. Take in the Waterfront Views from all of Mission Point!
- Ceremony Venues: Plan a stunning outdoor wedding ceremony in one of the many venues that include the Gazebo, the Front Lawn or the Promenade Deck. PRO TIP: Your wedding decor can be minimal – the beautiful scenery will do most of the work for you!
- Rehearsal Dinner and Reception Venues: You have so many incredible choices such as the Summit Room, Cypress Room, or Colonial Room or the Promenade Deck as well!
- Incredible Views of Lake Huron and The Straits: The stunning blues of the sea and sky will make a gorgeous backdrop for every aspect of your wedding and give you countless opportunities for incredible wedding photos!
A Final Bonus Tip for your Mission Point Wedding…
...Hire Local Vendors!! Mission Point Resort is on Mackinac Island in Northern Michigan… meaning that you access the island by ferry and no cars are allowed! This presents a unique set of logistics for wedding vendors. Hiring vendors who can navigate the Island lets you relax with confidence that everything will go smoothly on your wedding day. Likewise… the staff at Mission Point is incredible and a great resource for anything that you need!
Mission Point Resort has so much to offer for a one-of-a-kind outdoor wedding destination weekend. From its gorgeous buildings and grounds…to its onsite amenities such as the Lakeside Spa & Salon… to its unique features such a custom fleet of bicycles… you and your guests can enjoy stunning scenery and a weekend’s worth of activities…like a destination wedding without traveling too far from home!
I love photographing weddings at Mission Point Resort… from favorite locations to photos unique to each couple… it’s the ultimate place for a carefree and relaxed wedding experience! (Just look at the photo above of me dancing with Mickey (one of my fav’s) on the Cypress Room Dance Floor).